Most people are going to experience some knee pain in their life. While it can be tolerable at times, and not get in the way, others may experience pain that definitely prevents them from performing their daily duties. When common methods of getting pain relief do not help provide any real help, there are two methods that will help most people.
Causes of Knee Pain
The knee can be subject to a variety of problems that will result in pain. Due to the nature of these problems, they will not get better over time, but will grow worse. They must be treated in order to receive relief from pain. These problems may involve:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Dislocated knee
Knee Joint Injections
There are three common types of injections that may help you get pain relief:
- Corticosteroids – This steroid is especially beneficial for treating knee pain caused by osteoarthritis. The corticosteroids are injected right into the knee joint. It is anti-inflammatory and will also help to provide lubricant to the knee joints. It takes about a day to relieve the pain and the effect can last from about three months to a year, or longer. It may not help everyone.
- Hyaluronic acid – This injection provides you more of the type of fluid that is naturally found in your knees. Osteoarthritis tends to reduce the amount of hyaluronic acid in your knees. Adding more increases the ability of the joint to reduce shock, and it also lubricates the joint. Multiple injections may be needed for the greatest benefit.
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) – This recent treatment uses your blood; and then the plasma is separated from the red blood cells. It is especially valuable because platelets are known to speed up the healing process. Once the plasma is obtained, it is injected into the knee. It will also help to reduce inflammation in the area.
Suppartz and or Synvisc Injections
These two products are injections used to increase the amount of hyaluronic acid in the knee joint. This substance is also called sodium hyaluronate. They are often referred to as viscosupplementation treatments and they are used to provide relief from osteoarthritis pain.
- Suppartz FX – This form of hyaluronic acid is injected directly into the knee. Fluid that has accumulated in the knee is drained off prior to the injection, and then the Supartz FX is injected directly into your knee joint. Up to five injections may be needed for best relief, and these will likely be provided once a week.
- Synvisc – This product for knee pain relief comes in two forms – Synvisc and Synvisc-One. The first version will require three injections administered one week apart. Synvisc-One combines all three injections into one, cutting down on the number of office visits that need to be made.
After a careful diagnosis of the causes of your knee pain, Lower Back Pain NY can provide you with various solutions to your knee pain. We help you get back on your feet and start enjoying life again. We have multiple offices in New York City and we invite you to contact us today.